Should I Repair Or Replace The Roof?
This is a question many NJ homeowners ask themselves at least once during house ownership. The number of years a roof may last depends on the material, weather and overall wear. So, if you’re wondering: “repair or replace roof?” the answer is not always straight forward as there are several things to consider.
Repair or Replace Considerations
In some respects, the decision is similar to replacing a car. Does it have more life, but at what cost? Will you have to continually invest in repairs? If the repair costs are expected to significantly add up, and your roof is starting to age then it may be time to replace your roof rather than repair it.
Unlike a car your roof does not have a warning light and unless water is running down to the interior of your home it may not be that easy to detect an issue. If you detect water damage it doesn’t necessarily mean that the roof must be replaced. It really comes down to the extent of water damage, how many roof leaks and the age of the shingle. At this point it’s usually best to call a professional roofing company, like JVW Construction, to review your options.
When a roof repair or replacement with your contractor the roof’s age is one of the first thing that will be addressed. If you purchased your house from someone and you don’t know how old the roof here are a few things to look for that will typically mean the roof is approaching the end of its life expectancy.
- The corners of your roofing shingles are curling up
- Your roofing shingles are balding
- There are missing shingles
- Dips or sagging of the roof
- Granules laying in the gutters
Your roofing contractor should discuss the damage, aesthetics and cost of a roof repair and replacement. Then it will be up to you to decide what makes the most sense.
When It Makes Sense To Just Repair
- When you find minor damage – for the most part if it is something confined to a small area it probably can be repaired.
- If your budget is tight – if this is the case and you are needing more frequent repairs start saving for the day that the roof must replaced.
- If your roof is not very old, it is best to protect that investment with a roof repair instead of replacing the roof.
When It’s Time To Replace The Roof
- It is at or passed life expectancy
- The damage is overwhelming, and repairing would only be a temporary fix
- Significant storm damage – this type of damage often eliminates the possibility of a repair and you might be left with no choice but to replace the roof. Note: Check with your homeowners’ insurance as you may have replace roof coverage.
As with most home renovation decisions, it’s always a great idea to speak to a local professional roofing contractor you can trust. JVW Construction has been serving NJ homeowners since 1984. Contact us for a free estimate today!